My current powders...........

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bob Wright, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Keyboard Operator Armed Forces

I'm a handgunner, notably a Single Action revolver man. I've been through many rounds loading various combinations of bullets, powder, etc. When I began loading the .44 Magnum, Hercules 2400 was the go-to powder for performance. So, I opted to try something different and went to DuPont IMR-4227. Using 25.0 grs. of this with a 245 gr. Keith SWC gave me an even 1400 f.p.s. from my Super Blackhawk. This was my pet combination for many years, as DuPont and Hercules dropped out of the powder business.

Age has sort of tempered my fire-snortin' loadings, too. Of late, Hodgdon's HS-6 has become one of my stand-bys. HS-6 meters well, gives me very good accuracy, and good middle-of-the-road performance, as most of my cartridges stay under the 1200 f.p.s. range now. HS-6 works good in my .38 Specials, .357 Magnums, .44 Specials, and .44 Magnum. Doesn't seem to really stand out in the .45 Colt.

For really light loads, HP-38 works very well for me, use this in my .38 Special, .45 Xtra Short, and .45 Colt. (What works well in the .45 Xtra Short works as well in the .45 ACP)

I recently bought one of those Cimarron 1872 Open Top Navy revolvers in .38 Special and this has become my "centerfire .22" I use a 158 gr. Round Nosed Flat Point cast bullet with 3.5 grs. of HP-38 and this is just a fun gun to shoot.

Bob Wright

2. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

3. Viper53

Viper53 Pawpaw Staff Member

I've always liked the looks of the open top revolvers, but I've never owned one.

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Keyboard Operator Armed Forces

I was unable to post this as I wrote the thread, Photobucket problem. But here is mine:

[​IMG]

And this was my first outing with the gun:

[​IMG]

As a matter of interest, it took forty-five strokes with a file to get on target, filing the front sight down.

Bob Wright

5. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

You may want to give Imgur a try. Rumor is photobucket is going to start charging people.