Man arrested for asking 'threatening' question at GOP senator's town hall

Discussion in 'First Amendment Area' started by Viper53, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Viper53

Viper53 Pawpaw Staff Member

2. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

I'm having trouble seeing where the crime was committed.

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Keyboard Operator Armed Forces

As I see it, it's sort of on the order of yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. The question has the potential for arousing sudden alarm in the person to whom the question was directed, when in fact it is a false premise.

(Does that sound nice, or what?)

Bob Wright

4. Viper53

Learned.

5. Jack

It's definitely on the edge. However, if causing alarm is the standard for curtailing free speech, then we're all in trouble. To qualify as criminal, I think it has to at least have the potential to cause harm.

6. well I don't see they have anything?

7. Viper53

Yeah. The shooting in D.C. Has them spooky and it should.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. Bob Wright

"Causing alarm", that is sounding an alarm when there is no apparent danger present is a possible danger. The same as tripping the fire alarm when there is indeed no fire, could lead to a panic with the possible injury or even death of those present in an attempt to escape. So the miscreant in this case implied, through his question, that someone was likely in possible great danger, which would lead to the likelihood of dispatching law enforcement officers needlessly.

To yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater is one thing, to warn of the possibility of a fire in the theater is another. One invokes immediate action, the other instills caution. Big difference.

Bob Wright

9. Jack

I would just file it under theatrics. That kind of dramatism is pretty common in debates. I personally find it distasteful, but the left gets away with it all the time.

10. RPZ

RPZ Keyboard Operator

My answer is a hands down NO.

The intent of the question was to equivocate deportatiin with kidnapping. Which is ridiculous of course.

There is no evidence to suggest that this was any kind of threat to kidnap anyone. Only the attempt to claim the deportation is kidnapping and a sort of "how would you feel if..".

11. Bob Wright

As I see it, the man prefaced his remark with "You probably haven't seen the news.........."

Thus he implied the kidnapping might be in fact a reality. This could have prompted action by law enforcement, much the same as filing a false report. A man must be accountable for his words as well as his actions.

I have no sympathy for him.

Bob Wright

12. Viper53

I have no sympathy for him either.

You attack me and I will fight back, you attack my family and I will do my best to destroy you by any means available. No mercy.