I can't believe we don't have any bowhunters here

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Viper53, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Viper53

Viper53 Pawpaw Staff Member

I shoot a bow only infrequently. Last time was this fall getting my 8 year old grandson something to do (chase the arrows).
    I'm only a slightly worse shot with a bow than a pistol.

2. Mac

Mac Shootist

I used to be a decent shot with a (25lb?) recurve as a kid (no sights, just point & shoot). In fact, I never missed a game target.

Conscience requires some clarification though... the only game I ever shot at was 1 (count 'em, one) squirrel. Had some .38 cases for blunts on a few arrows, and killed him with a shot between the shoulders. :smile:

Last time I shot it was probably back in the late '80s. One of the kids had kicked a soccer ball into the top fork of a 40-50ft hackberry, and I dug the old bow out of a closet. Took 2 or 3 shots to hit it though, shooting straight up is a wee bit deceptive. Or maybe I was just way outta practice... :lol:

3. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Keyboard Operator

I have always wanted to try this but my neck has kept me from doing it. Neurosurgeon says he thinks he can solve that problem for me. I sure hope so. It would be cool to mark this one off the bucket list. :+1:

4. Curtis

Curtis Greenhorn

I take a bow out every deer season, but have yet to shoot one. The only action those arrows have seen is with a target. I think they know I don't have a rifle and stay outta range

5. Scallorn

Scallorn Greenhorn

I love bow hunting. I generally deer hunt in archery season, but not so much in gun season anymore. I used to love shooting primitive self bows as well as Oneida compounds, but lately have had to take up crossbow due to arm injuries.

6. Viper53

Viper53 Pawpaw Staff Member

I would like to have a good crossbow, but, I'm not willing to pay for one. :)

7. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

You have to respect anyone who can take down a deer with a longbow. I do pretty well with compound bows, assuming they have nice sights, but I'm not much use to anyone with a compound or recurve. Not that I've spent any time with one, though. But it's an acquired skill no doubt about it.

8. Mac

Mac Shootist

FWIW, this is the "downed tree" that gave me fits in the link below... :D

http://www.556files.net/index.php?threads/downed-tree.690/