Counterfeit 1911

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by Viper53, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Viper53

Viper53 Pawpaw Staff Member

2. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

Those are still being made in the Philippines to this day. They go to great lengths to make them look legit so that the authorities can't tell that they're black market, illegally produced weapons, or at least that's the theory. Supposedly some of them are good enough to actually fool someone. Luckily, I don't think there's much chance of many of them finding their way to our shores and ending up on the open market.

3. Viper53

There was a show on tv about these pistols. They are made almost all by hand in one man shops. The penalties are pretty harsh for doing this.

4. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Keyboard Operator

:taptap: :jumpingmad:

Things like this are what make me REALLY dislike people.

5. Defalco

Defalco Greenhorn

Tsk, why do people do this?

6. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

It's hard to say. Gun control plays a big part. They can't get factory guns so they have to make their own in little huts in the jungle somewhere. As to why they have to fake all the markings, that's unclear. They claim it's to fool the authorities, but I suspect a lot of it is just to see if they can. Kind of like people wear counterfeit Nikes when they know good and well they're fake. Sort of a third world prestige thing.:laugh2:

7. Viper53

I watched a program about this on TV. It was my understanding that it was all about making a living.