Colt LE stripped lower with Mexican markings

Discussion in 'AR Variants' started by Jack, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jack

Jack Fearless Leader Staff Member

2. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Keyboard Operator Armed Forces Law Enforcement

Can't help but wonder if they aren't running a fast and furious program?

RPZ likes this.
  3. Jack

Not unless it sprouts legs and walks across the border.:)

RPZ likes this.
  4. Jack

I suppose I could give it a backstory, though, by drilling a hole in it and claiming that's where the tracking chip had been removed.:rolling2:

5. Fyrtwuck

Funny that you mention that. About ten years ago a friend of mine and I were talking about his day at work at the pawn shop. He said that a Hispanic male had come in asking about M-16's. He said that they didn't carry any. The guy then asked if he knew where he could. My friend said that he would check around and if he left some contact info, he would get back with him.

As soon as the guy left my friend called ATF and told them the story. A few hours later an agent showed up and said if he'd agree to it, they wanted to set up a sting.

He agreed and they brought in ten M-16's to sell to this guy. My friend called the guy and said he had found some and set up a meet to discuss price and delivery. The guy came in, haggled the price and paid cash for all the rifles and left.

When everything was done my friend asked the ATF agent in the back room when and where they were going to arrest him. He said they weren't, that they were going to track him to see where he was taking the rifles with chips they had hidden in the rifles. ATF took the cash as evidence and never he heard anything more about it.

6. Jack

So if I ever need 10 M16s, all I have to do is bait the ATF into a sting, then remove the tracking chips. Noted. So what is the going rate for 10 M16s these days?:D

7. Mac

Mac Shootist

10 to 20 yrs...? :D

Jack likes this.
  8. Fyrtwuck

A legally transferable one goes for about 30k. If I'd known I could have bought or made one before May 19, 1986, I'd have several sitting in the safe right now.

9. Jack

I just wish I had been born before 1986. For so many reasons...

10. Jack

Regarding the Mexican lower, I got one, and it's the crappiest lower I've ever seen.:rolling2:

I don't know if this is just where Colt is these days, or if they just cut corners for the Mexican market. I know this isn't, or wasn't, what one could expect from Colt Defense in the past. The M16s and M4s I've seen had a nice fit and finish.

There are horrible forge marks that weren't machined out, and the lower is sandblasted instead of bead blasted, so it's a very rough finish. This is all purely cosmetic, and I'm assuming the dimensions are all correct, but it's still kind of disappointing. My other Colts aren't the nicest lowers, but they're relatively well finished, whereas this one makes Anderson look nice.

Very curious, also, it has the web in the auto sear shelf, preventing a drop in auto sear from being used. This strikes me as very odd, since this rifle was supposed to go to the Mexican government. I was also under the impression that Colt had stopped doing that when they switched to normal milspec diameter pins. I guess maybe the Mexicans were afraid of their police converting them to full auto???:oh!:

It's still very cool, though, and I would buy another if I had the money. I bought it 100% for the unique markings. But if I were just in the market for a lower, Noveske blows Colt Defense out of the water in terms of finish. They make some nice lowers. Beautiful even.