1. Be respectful and courteous to all members and staff at all times. Vigorous debate is welcome, and even encouraged, but only as long as it remains respectful to everyone involved. Also note that bad behavior from one member is not an invitation to join in or retaliate in kind. Infractions will be dealt with in private by the staff, so just ignore them and trust that the offending member will be dealt with. This rule pretty well sums up most of the others, so you are likely to always stay in good standing if you take this one rule to heart.
2. Refrain from using ad hominems in any form. Translation: Attack the argument, not the person making it.
3. Refrain from passive aggressive, snarky remarks directed towards other members. If you run out of constructive things to say to someone, it's time to move on.
4. Refrain from "white knighting" anyone (arbitrarily backing someone up without adding any additional information to the discussion).
5. Refrain from appealing to the majority. Arguments are made by demonstration of fact and drawing logical conclusions therefrom, not by an impromptu democratic survey.
6. Refrain from appealing to your own authority as a means of validating your expertise as being superior to someone else's. You may very well be an expert on the subject, but most members here don't know you from Adam (not to mention experts are often wrong). Instead, let your superior knowledge of the subject matter demonstrate your expert status, as opposed to claiming some title or experience that cannot be validated as true or even relevant.
7. Every thread is an island. Something someone said in one thread will NOT be used as ammunition against them in another.
8. Keep it decent and in good taste. We can't provide a full list of what's allowed and what's not; if you have any doubts, ask before you post. In general, it's not a good idea to post anything you wouldn't want your wife and kids to see, with one exception being graphic content posted for informative purposes, assuming it is newsworthy and/or educational. Graphic content posted for entertainment or shock value won't be tolerated. Risque, pornographic, or vulgar content will result in an immediate ban. This includes scantily clad women, anything sexually suggestive, off color humor, and exploits from your fraternity days.
As far as language is concerned, refer to George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV. You will find those disabled; please do not try to circumvent word replacement. While PG rated swearing is allowed, please keep it on the level of a southern gentlemen. Lastly, don't take the Lord's name in vane, regardless of your religious affiliation, or lack thereof. While we encourage people of all faiths (and non-faiths) to take part in the great American tradition of firearms ownership we also realize that most gun owners are from a Judeo-Christian background, and we want to make sure they feel comfortable here.
9. Red font is reserved for site staff for moderating purposes. If you see something in red, please pay close attention to it.
10. One account per person, no exceptions. If two members share the same IP address (i.e. live together and therefore share the same internet connection), please contact us. If you forgot your name or password, please contact us before creating a new one; in all likelihood we will be able to locate it for you, even if it's years old.
11. Don't post copyrighted material unless you own it. By posting here, you accept any and all liability for your actions.
12. Do not discuss any illegal activity, including but not limited to: illegal weapons, explosives, illicit drugs, criminal activities, etc. Doing so will result in an immediate ban, no exceptions.
13. Refrain from any and all straw man arguments. In a nutshell, this means misrepresenting someone's argument to make it easier to attack. In other words, don't put words in someone's mouth.